Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Took the Vibrams outside

After a horrible experience on the treadmill in my campus's gym (that prevented me from finishing my long-run and kept me from running another day after) I was pushed over the edge. I drove over to REI and bought myself some Injini toe socks for my Vibrams. I then enjoyed a run outside in the snow and slush.

My feet were a little cold to start with, but only on the bottom of my feet. The rubber on the bottom of my Vibrams is not a very good insulator and the sock isn't thick enough to provide warmth (especially when I'm compressing it). As I got more warmed up my feet felt fine. I was generally able to avoid slushy areas well enough that I didn't get my feet wet.

Unfortunately I got a little over-zealous and did end up tromping through some slush, which then went in between my toes and got my foot wet. Luckily, I was almost done with my run at this point, though I have to say it wasn't as cold as I thought it would be.

Tonight is a 4-mile, outdoors of course. I'll be starting my run around 4:30/4:45ish, which means I'll be running in the dark for most of it. It will be much colder than my early afternoon run yesterday and I'm worried that it will be too cold for my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment